2018 Suzuki GSX-R1000 ABS
Stock Image: Pearl Glacier White
It has been three decades, with more than a million editions sold, since the GSX-R line was born. And a decade and a half has elapsed since the first GSX-R1000 transformed the open sportbike class forever. Built to Own the Racetrack, the GSX-R1000 captured the MotoAmerica Superbike Championship in its debut year asserting its claim as The King of Sportbikes.
This motorcycle’s chassis forms the lightest, the most compact, the most aerodynamic and the best-handling GSX-R1000 ever. Cradled in this aluminum frame is an advanced engine that uses an exclusive Variable Valve Timing system and Ride-by-Wire throttle bodies for a wide spread of power while delivering smooth and precise throttle response
Using an Inertial Measuring Unit (IMU) the GSX-R1000 ABS’s advanced electronics package includes selectable performance modes so the motorcycle enhances and fine tunes rider inputs. The six-axis IMU lets the GSX-R1000 ABS recognize its position on the street or race track to help the rider achieve an extraordinary level of riding performance.
Up front, the unique BREMBO T-drive brake rotors are grasped by Monobloc calipers connected to the exclusive Suzuki Motion Track Anti-lock Brake system provides strong, controlled braking. The precise and smooth SHOWA suspension keeps the sticky Bridgestone RS10 tires in touch with the road. All of this forward-looking motorcycle technology is covered in sleek, wind tunnel-developed bodywork that’s uniquely GSX-R.
- Liquid-cooled, 999.8cc DOHC inline-four cylinder engine produces exceptionally high top-end power without sacrificing low to mid-range power thanks to a Variable Valve Timing (VVT) system, Ride-by-Wire Throttle Bodies and more.
- Advanced electronics such as an Inertia Measurement Unit (IMU), S-DMS adjustable power output, and Suzuki traction control, plus other performance features, increase racetrack and street performance.
- The twin-spar type aluminum frame is 10% lighter and more compact that the prior generation GSX-R1000, with optimized rigidity for nimble handling and a high level of grip when cornering.
- Advanced suspension uses a SHOWA BPF fork and rear shock that combine with new ABS-equipped BREMBO T-drive 320mm dual front brake rotors and Monobloc 4-piston calipers for extraordinary handling and stopping performance.
- Aerodynamic bodywork is sleek and stylish while housing a bright LED headlight and Suzuki Ram Air Direct (SRAD) ducts that feed a high volume of intake air for astonishing top speed muscle.
- A powerful 32-bit Dual Processor Engine Control Module (ECM) blends Suzuki’s vast street-going EFI knowledge with the intelligence from Suzuki’s race-winning MotoGP program. GSX-R1000 ABS riders will get sportbike performance without peer while simultaneously receiving polished street manners.
- Using MotoGP knowledge, Suzuki has fitted an Inertial Measurement Unit (IMU) to the GSX-R1000 ABS. The IMU provides six direction, three axis motion and position information to the ECM so instantaneous adjustments can be made electronically to the engine and chassis components that influence performance.
- Ride-by-Wire electronic throttle bodies are precisely opened by the ECM to match the throttle grip rotation of the rider’s hand and the refinement from the IMU-influenced electronics. The result is a strong, seamless engine power delivery from idle to redline.
- The exclusive ten-mode, Motion Track Traction Control System (MT-TCS), with IMU influence, increases rider confidence by allowing adjustments to amount of intervention to match riding ability and surface conditions.
- Exclusive to Suzuki, the new Motion Track Anti-lock Brake System brings additional control to anti-lock braking (ABS). Like a conventional ABS system, the Motion Track Brake System provides the appropriate amount of braking force for the available traction. When the IMU detects the rear wheel lifting up from extreme braking forces, the ABS control module will adjust the front brake pressure to reduce the rear wheel lift.
- The LCD Multi-function Instrument Panel was inspired by the GSX-RR MotoGP dash. This panel is laid out so the rider can easily see the tachometer bar, speedometer digits, and other essential operational information. This effective display is critical as it is the rider’s interface to the GSX-R1000 ABS’s advanced electronics.
- The three mode, Suzuki Drive Mode Selector (S-DMS) system lets the rider select the power output levels of the engine to match riding ability and conditions.
- The Suzuki Easy Start System simplifies start up for the GSX-R1000 ABS rider as the ECM automatically cranks the engine for 1.5 seconds (or until it starts) with a momentary press of the starter button. There is no need to pull in the clutch lever if the transmission is in neutral. Once started, the ECM will control the electronic throttle bodies to maintain a consistent engine idle speed, whether the engine is cold or warm.
- The innovative Suzuki Low RPM Assist System smooths take-offs and reduces the chance of the rider stalling the motorcycle. If necessary, the ECM raises engine RPM slightly for a smoother start when the clutch is released so it’s easier to ride away from a stop or navigate at very low speeds in traffic.
- The compact, four-stroke, liquid-cooled, DOHC, 999.8cc inline-four cylinder engine is designed with a high level of top end performance plus strong low to mid-range power.
- The crankshaft retains Suzuki’s Even Firing Order Engine legacy. Un-even firing order engines used in other motorcycles vibrate more while the GSX-R1000 ABS makes good power at all engine speeds, runs smoother and reliably while emitting a screamer exhaust note.
- The short stroke engine has a 76.0 mm bore versus a 55.1mm stroke, yet is narrower than the prior generation GSX-R1000 thanks to effective design.
- The engine has been rotated back and positioned in the frame to create optimal chassis dimensions for precise handling and to balance the motorcycle’s weight.
- The exclusive Suzuki Racing Variable Valve Timing System (SR-VVT) uses a centrifugal actuated mechanism on the intake camshaft sprocket to increase high engine RPM power without losing low-to mid-range power.
- The Suzuki Racing Finger Follower valve train weights less than a tappet-style valve train for reduced friction and increased valve response at higher engine speeds.
- Titanium valves, two 31.5mm intake and two 24mm exhaust valves, are used for each cylinder. The lighter valves respond well to the finger follower’s arms and permit a 14,500 RPM redline that helps produce very high peak horsepower.
- Aluminum pistons, 76.0 mm in diameter, were engineered with use of FEM (Finite Element Method) analysis, and are cast for optimal rigidity and weight.
- Suzuki Composite Electrochemical Material (SCEM) coated cylinders are integrated into the upper crankcase to reduce friction and improve heat transfer and durability.
- The high 13.2:1 compression ratio helps produce high horsepower. The cylinder head’s shallow combustion chamber minimize heat produced during operation.
- The EFI system uses Suzuki’s Ride-by-Wire Electronic Throttle Bodies where the throttle valves are controlled by a servo motor for fast response to rider throttle grip input while delivering precise and smooth power delivery.
- The automatic Idle Speed Control (ISC) improves cold starting and stabilizes the engine idle regardless of engine temperature.
- Complementing the four primary fuel injectors in the throttle bodies are four Suzuki Top Feed Injectors (S-TFI) that spray fuel from the top of the air box directly into the intake funnels. This results in higher peak power, more efficient combustion, and a higher level of fueling control.
- To increase top end power without losing lower RPM performance, the air box is equipped with Staked Air Intake Funnels for the #1 and #4 cylinders. This simple design allows good air flow at all intake speeds without requiring a mechanism that adds weight or complexity.
- A pair of Suzuki Ram Air Direct (SRAD) intake ducts are used to exponentially increase the volumetric flow of air amount coming in the air box as road speed increases.
- The digital ignition fires iridium type spark plugs that increase spark strength and combustion efficiency. These quality components also last longer than conventional spark plugs.
- The titanium muffler has a pleasing appearance while creating an exciting, distinctive sound.
- The Suzuki Exhaust Tuning (SET) system valve in the mid-pipe helps control back-pressure and flow to the muffler to widen power delivery and reduce exhaust sounds without needing a larger silencer.
- SET-Alpha exhaust valves in the balance tubes between the #1 and #4, and the #2 and #3 head pipes open at higher engine speeds and close at lower RPM to help the engine create high peak power without losing low and mid-range horsepower.
- The cooling system was designed using advanced analysis design so the coolant flows through the engine and radiator more efficiently. This design uses 400cc less coolant than the prior generation GSX-R1000, but the new system has better cooling efficiency while being more compact and lighter.
- The fairing lowers efficiently guide cooling air to the high-capacity curved radiator. Twin cooling fans ensure good cooling at lower road speeds.
- Additional heat is removed from the engine via the use of an air-cooled, radiator-style oil cooler mounted directly below the main radiator.
- The cassette-style, 6-speed transmission lets riders precisely match the gear ratio to the riding condition. A cassette-style transmission can be easily removed from crankcase as an assembly with the engine still in the frame, facilitating race track gear changes and simplified service.
- Based on Suzuki’s race-proven close-ratio transmissions, the GSX-R1000 ABS employs vertically staggered shafts to reduce overall engine length.
- The primary gear ratio is lower compared to the prior generation GSX-R1000 for stronger acceleration.
- The shift linkage can be easily set-up for reverse pattern, GP-style shifting.
- A programmable shift light is on the main panel to provide a visual alert to the rider to shift when a certain engine RPM is reached.
- A Suzuki Clutch Assist System (SCAS) multi-plate, wet clutch is to modulate engine power to the drive train. SCAS works like a slipper clutch during downshifts, while increasing pressure on the plates during acceleration. This smooths engine braking and lightens the clutch lever pull.
- To reduce weight, a 525-size drive chain is used with a 45/17 final sprocket ratio that complement the larger, rear tire dimensions.
- Using lessons learning from Suzuki MotoGP chassis development, the engine angle of the GSX-R1000 ABS was rotated backwards 6-degrees. This had the joint effect of reducing the distance of the fork to the center of the chassis by 20mm and increase the swingarm length by 40mm. This increased chassis stability and improves aerodynamics.
- The aluminum twin-spar style frame was designed using FEM analysis technology to place strength is the proper places, the new frame is also 10% lighter than the prior generation GSX-R1000. The spars of the frame are set 20mm closer to help improve aerodynamics, looks and to bring more comfort to the rider.
- The aluminum Superbike-braced swingarm has equalized bracing to the main beams to provide balanced support and movement to the shock absorber to improve racetrack handling while conveying a consistent suspension feel to the rider.
- Racetrack-developed links connect the single SHOWA Remote Reservoir Shock Absorber to the braced swingarm. With spring preload, rebound damping, plus high and low-speed compression damping force adjustment the rider can tune the motorcycle to respond to riding style and weight.
- Superb suspension action is delivered by the fully adjustable SHOWA Big Piston Fork (BPF) which is renowned for damping force control that maintains front tire contact with the surface so the rider gets good sensory feedback while riding at a variety of speeds.
- BREMBO Radial Mount Brake Calipers provide the rider with strong braking performance combined with superb feel.
- BREMBO T-drive Brake Rotors feature two methods of attaching the 320mm floating disc to the carrier. There are five conventional floating rotor spools that maintain the rotor’s relationship to the caliper and five new-design T-drive fasteners. This combed attachment technique allows the rotor to absorb more energy so a high degree of braking force is available to a GSX-R1000 ABS rider.
- The front brakes are complemented by a 240mm rear disc brake with a NISSIN single-piston caliper to help make sure you can have controlled stops.
- Exclusive to Suzuki, the lightweight six-spoke wheels reduce unsprung mass and have been designed to handle the braking and drive forces that a GSX-R1000 ABS can create.
- The wheel rims have pin stripes punctuated by “R” logos that highlight the bike’s identity.
- The track-day ready Bridgestone RS10 low mass tires, with a new higher 55% profile in the back, are premium high-grip radials that achieve excellent handling and stability.
- The aerodynamic bodywork was created by Suzuki styling designers and engineers using numerous wind tunnel tests to achieve a slippery shape and compelling appearance. Narrower than ever before, the GSX-R1000 ABS’s shape directly aids performance by improved handling and top speed on the racetrack.
- The dual SRAD intake ducts are positioned closer to the center of the fairing nose, where air pressure is highest. The intake ducts are also larger, thanks to the compact LED headlight.
- The reasonable sport riding position is created by a carefully crafted relationship between the clip-on’s, footrests and seat. Compared to the prior generation GSX-R, the top of the fuel tank is lowered 21mm to make it easier for the rider to tuck in on a racetrack straightaway.
- The seat height is an appropriate 825 mm (32.48 in.) and contributes the good rider interface that aids in guiding the motorcycle on the road or race track.
- The passenger seat can be removed and exchanged with an optional, color-matched solo tail cowl.
- The shifter and rear brake pedal are adjustable in relationship to the footrests, and the hand controls are adjustable in relation to the grips. The front brake lever has a slot machined in the end to prevent wind pressure from applying the front brake.
- Controller Area Network wire harness (CAN Bus) allows for fast and precise communications between all of the GSX-R1000 ABS’s Electronic Systems. With a CAN Bus system, riders will experience swift and trouble-free electronic system operation while the size and complexity of the wiring is simplified.
- The LCD multi-function instrument panel has an adjustable intensity, white-color backlight for great nighttime visibility and is flanked by LED indicators that include the turn signals, high beam, traction control, shift light, plus coolant temperature and oil pressure alerts.
- The LED headlight is lightweight, bright and distinctive. This low-electric draw light has a narrow, stacked shape to allow the SRAD ducts at the nose of the fair access to the high pressure air created at higher speeds.
- The LED combination tail & brake light assembly has a very low electrical draw and the vertically stacked shape permits the tail section to be narrow for better air flow at the back of the motorcycle. License plate is also illuminated by an LED light.
- The turn signals are lightweight and use incandescent bulbs with amber lenses so the motorcycle’s turn indication is highly visible to other traffic.
- The poly-function Start/Stop switch combines the engine stop and start functions. The switch is a fine complement to the Suzuki Easy Start system fitted to the GSX-R1000 ABS.
- The GSX-R1000 ABS now uses the same lightweight and compact battery as the GSX-R1000R.
- A variety of Genuine Suzuki Accessories are available, plus a large selection of GSX-R logo apparel.
- 12-month unlimited mileage, limited warranty. Coverage can be increased via Suzuki Extended Protection
- Engine: 999.8cc, 4-stroke, liquid-cooled, 4-cylinder, DOHC
- Bore x Stroke: 76.0 x 55.1 mm (2.992 x 2.169 in.)
- Compression Ratio: 13.2: 1
- Fuel System: Suzuki Fuel Injection with Ride-by-Wire throttle bodies
- Starter: Electric
- Lubrication: Wet sump
- Transmission: 6-speed constant mesh
- Clutch: Wet, multi-plate type
- Final Drive: Chain, RK525GSH
- Suspension Front: Inverted telescopic, coil spring, oil damped
- Suspension Rear: Link type, single shock, coil spring, oil damped
- Brakes Front: Brembo 4-piston, Disc, twin
- Brakes Rear: Nissin, 1-piston, Disc single
- Tires Front: 120/70ZR17M/C (58W), tubeless
- Tires Rear: 190/55ZR17M/C (73W), tubeless
- Fuel Tank Capacity: 16 L (4.2 US gal.)
- Color: Pearl Glacier White, Metallic Mat Black No. 2
- Ignition: Electronic ignition (Transistorized)
- Headlight: LED
- Tail Light: LED
- Overall Length: 2075 mm (81.7 in.)
- Overall Width: 705 mm (27.8 in.)
- Overall Height: 1145 mm (45.1 in.)
- Ground Clearance: 130 mm (5.1 in.)
- Seat Height: 825 mm (32.5 in.)
- Curb Weight: 201 kg (445 lb.)
- Warranty: 12 month unlimited mileage limited warranty.
- Engine Type
- 4-stroke, 4-cylinder, DOHC
- Bore and Stroke
- 2.992 x 2.169 in. (76.0 x 55.1 mm)
- Compression Ratio
- 13.2: 1
- Fuel System
- Suzuki Fuel Injection with Ride-by-Wire throttle bodies
- Electronic ignition (Transistorized)
- 6-speed constant mesh
- Final Drive
- Chain, RK525GSH
- Front Suspension
- Inverted telescopic, coil spring, oil damped
- Rear Suspension
- Link type, single shock, coil spring, oil damped
- Front Brakes
- Brembo 4-piston, Disc, twin
- Rear Brakes
- Nissin, 1-piston, Disc single
- Front Tire
- 120/70ZR17M/C (58W), tubeless
- Rear Tire
- 190/55ZR17M/C (73W), tubeless
- Seat Height
- 32.5 in. (825 mm)
- Fuel Capacity
- 4.2 US gal. (16 L)
- Dry Weight
- Curb Weight: 445 lb. (201 kg)
- Pearl Glacier White, Metallic Mat Black No. 2
- 12 month unlimited mileage limited warranty.
Coleman PowerSports has the largest showrooms and selection in the Mid Atlantic. We back all of our vehicles with a warranty and every customer becomes a VIP. For over 55 years, our mission is to offer you the latest products, at the best prices, and with unparalleled service. Price listed excludes applicable destination, handling, reconditioning fee, $299 processing fee, tax, title, and license fees. Please contact us for an exact price and learn about our FREE VIP package.