2015 BMW R1200 R
From design concept to the new R 1200 R.
The new R 1200 R marks the status quo in terms of aesthetic appeal, dynamic performance and design. When our developers put forward their visions in the BMW Concept Roadster, this new bike was their greatest source of inspiration. And that's no surprise - after all, the new R 1200 R is a powerful machine that combines comfort, athletic flair and design in an entirely unique way.
Compact, tight, muscular - the bike's new design sets it clearly apart from its predecessor. The upside down telescopic fork based on the S 1000 RR not only gives this powerhouse a striking appearance but also ensures stability and precise handling. With the sharply drawn lines along the fuel tank and the seamless transition across the seat to the rear, this roadster has a look that perfectly matches the way it rides.
For the first time, the new R 1200 R is available not just in the basic paint finish but also in two additional styles, so as to ensure the design does even more justice to riders' individual preferences: in classic, timeless Cordoba Blue or in athletic Light White with engine spoiler in body color and frame in striking Racing Red or stylish and exclusive Thunder Grey Metallic with a golden fork (only available with the option Dynamic ESA).
The R 1200 R is ahead of its time in terms of technology, too. A total of 125 hp provides plenty of power in the new R 1200 R. Together with the riding modes that can be accessed at the press of a button, the optionally available traction control (DTC) puts this power effectively to the asphalt. The rider has everything in view and under control thanks to the redesigned and expanded instrument panel.
Outstanding individual flair.
The range of accessories available for the R 1200 R is especially impressive: tank bag, BMW Navigator V and four different windshields are the perfect preparation for a big tour, while the latest generation of the optional Dynamic ESA further increases riding dynamics in the R 1200 R. Innovative features such as the BMW multi-controller, Shift Assistant Pro and Keyless Ride turn a sports-style roadster into a genuine all-rounder. There are also a range of painstaking details such as the milled hand lever and rider footrests or the crash bar in electropolished stainless steel which strike a perfect balance between functional tuning and visual customization.
The roadster revolution is beginning.
- Type: Air/liquid-cooled four stroke flat twin engine, double overhead camshaft, one balance shaft
- Bore x stroke: 101 mm x 73 mm
- Capacity: 1,170 cc
- Rated output: 125 hp (92 kW) at 7,750 rpm
- Max. torque: 92 lb-ft (125 Nm) at 6,500 rpm
- Compression ratio: 12.5 : 1
- Mixture control / engine management: Electronic intake pipe injection
- Emission control: Closed-loop 3-way catalytic converter, emission standard EU-3
- Alternator: three-phase alternator 508 W (nominal power)
- Battery: 12 V / 12 Ah, maintenance-free
- Clutch: oil lubricated clutch, hydraulically operated
- Gearbox: Constant mesh 6-speed gearbox with helical gear teeth
- Drive: Shaft drive
- Maximum speed: over 125 mph
- Fuel consumption per 100 km at constant 90 km/h: 60 mph at a constant 55 mph
- Fuel Type: Premium Unleaded
- Frame: Two-section frame consisting of front- and bolted on rear frame, load-bearing engine
- Front wheel location / suspension: Telescopic Upside-Down fork; stanchion diameter 45 mm
- Rear wheel location / suspension: Cast aluminum single-sided swing arm with BMW Motorrad Paralever; WAD strut (travel-related damping), spring pre-load hydraulically adjustable (continuously variable) at handwheel, rebound damping adjustable
- Suspension travel front / rear: 5.5 in / 5.5 in (140 mm / 140 mm)
- Wheelbase: 59.7 in (1,515 mm)
- Castor: 4.9 in (125.6 mm)
- Steering head angle: 62.3°
- Wheels: Cast aluminum wheels
- Rim, front: 3.50 x 17"
- Rim, rear: 5.50 x 17"
- Tyres, front: 120/70 ZR 17
- Tyres, rear: 180/55 ZR 17
- Brake, front: Dual disc brake, floating brake discs, diameter 320 mm, 4-piston fixed calipers
- Brake, rear: Single disc brake, diameter 276 mm, double-piston floating caliper
- ABS: BMW Motorrad Integral ABS (part-integral, can be switched off)
- Length: 85.3 in (2,165 mm)
- Width (incl. mirrors): 34.7 in (880 mm)
- Height (excl. mirrors): 51.2 in (1,300 mm)
- Seat height, unladen weight: 31.1 inches Standard; variable seat heights available between 29.9 inches and 32.3 inches (available as accessories and/or factory options, see an authorized BMW Motorrad dealer)
- Inner leg curve, unladen weight: 70.1 inches Standard; variable inner leg curve (inseam) between 67.8 and 72.3 inches (seats available as accessories and/or factory options, see an authorized BMW Motorrad dealer)
- Unladen weight, road ready, fully fuelled 1): 508 lbs (231 kg)
- Dry weight
- Permitted total weight: 990 lbs (450 kg)
- Payload (with standard equipment): 483 lbs (219 kg)
- Usable tank volume: 4.7 gal (18 l)
- Reserve approx.: 1 gal
- Engine Type
- Air/liquid-cooled four stroke flat twin engine, double overhead camshaft, one balance shaft
- Bore and Stroke
- 101 mm x 73 mm
- Air/Liquid Cooled
- Compression Ratio
- 12.5 : 1
- Front Suspension
- Telescopic Upside-Down fork; stanchion diameter 45 mm
- Rear Suspension
- Cast aluminum single-sided swing arm with BMW Motorrad Paralever; WAD strut (travel-related damping), spring pre-load hydraulically adjustable (continuously variable) at handwheel, rebound damping adjustable
- Front Brakes
- Dual disc brake, floating brake discs, diameter 320 mm, 4-piston fixed calipers
- Rear Brakes
- Single disc brake, diameter 276 mm, double-piston floating caliper
- Front Tire
- 120/70 ZR 17
- Rear Tire
- 180/55 ZR 17
- Seat Height
- 31.1 inches Standard; variable seat heights available between 29.9 inches and 32.3 inches (available as accessories and/or factory options, see an authorized BMW Motorrad dealer)
- 60 mph at a constant 55 mph
- oil lubricated clutch, hydraulically operated
- Thunder Grey Metallic, Cordoba Blue, Light White